Amol Palekar is an Indian actor and a director and producer of Hindi and Marathi cinema. Palekar was born on November 24, 1944 in Bombay, Maharashtra, India.
Palekar made his debut in 1971 with the noted Marathi film Shantata! Court Chalu Aahe directed by Satyadev Dubey, which started the ‘New Cinema’ Movement in Marathi.
In 1974 he was cast as an actor by Basu Chatterjee in Rajnigandha, and a surprise low-budget hit, Chhoti Si Baat, with none of the conventonal trappings of Bollywood Cinema. This led to many other such roles in “middle-class” comedies, mostly alternative cinema. These were often directed by Chatterjee or Hrishikesh Mukherjee and include such films as Gol Maal and Naram Garam. He won the Filmfare Best Actor Award for Gol Maal.
Palekar is famous for his image of the “middle-class everyman” who struggles to get a job (Gol-Maal), his own flat (Gharonda), a girlfriend/wife (Baaton Baaton Mein), appreciation from his boss, etc.
In 1982 Palekar played the role of “Ravi Chettan” in the acclaimed Malayalam movie Olangal.
His acting is naturalistic and understated, as opposed to the histrionic, melodramatic performances typical of Bollywood. However, he does techniques that have become audience favorites, such as a difficulty with finding words when stressed, almost to the point of stammering. He usually plays “the Good Indian Boy, the kind your mother-in-law would like!”
Amol Palekar Height and Weight
Amol Palekar Weight: Unknown
Amol Palekar Height: 5′ 6″ (1.68 m)
Amol Palekar Shoe Size/Feet Size: 9 (US)
Amol Palekar Star Sign: Sagittarius
Amol Palekar Net Worth: Unknown
Amol Palekar Hair Color: Black
Amol Palekar Eye Color: Black
Date Of Birth: 24 November 1944
Birth Place: Bombay, Maharashtra, India
Spouse: Sandhya Gokahale
Ex-Wife: Chitra Palekar
Parents: Suhasini Palekar, Kamlakar Palekar
Children: Shalmalee Palekar, Shyamalee Palekar
Siblings: Rekha, Neelam, Unnati
Film Background (Filmography)
Film Career: He is an actor as well as a director also.
Debut Film: Baaton Baaton Mein
Famous Movies: As Director – Paheli, As an Actor – Chitchor, Meri Biwi Ki Saadi, Chhoti Si Baat, Naram Garam, Rangbiranga, Rajnigandha, Golmaal
Film Awards: Best Movie Awards for Akriet
* Rajnigandha (1974) (Vidya Sinha)
* Chhoti Si Baat (1975) (Vidya Sinha, Asrani, Ashok Kumar)
* Chitchor (1976) (Zarina Wahab)
* Gharonda (1976) (Zarina Wahab)
* Bhumika (1977) (Smita Patil, Naseeruddin Shah, Anant Nag)
* Damaad (1978) (Ranjeeta)
* Baaton Baaton Mein (1979) (Tina Munim, David and others)
* Gol Maal (1979)[Bindiya Goswami]
* Do Ladke Dono Kadke (1979) (Moushumi Chatterji)
* Meri Biwi Ki Shaadi (1979) (Ranjeeta)
* Naram Garam (1981)
* Olangal (Ravi Chattan) (1982) Malayalam
* Shriman Shrimati (1983)
* Rang Birangi (1983) (Parveen Babi)
* Aadmi Aur Aurat (1984)
* Khamosh (1985) (Naseeruddin Shah, Shabana Azmi)
* Jhuthi (Rekha)
* Tarang (Smita Patil)
* Aks (2001)
* Aakreit (Unimaginable – Marathi) – 1981
* Anakahi (Unspoken) – 1985
* Thodasa Rumani Ho Jaye – 1990
* Bangarwadi – 1995
* Daayraa (The Square Circle) – 1996
* Anahat (Forever)
* Kairee (Raw mango) – 2001
* Dhyaas Parva (Kal Kaa Aadmi in Hindi) – 2001 (based on Raghunath Karve’s life, won the National Award for Best film on family welfare)
* Paheli (Riddle) – 2005
* Quest (Thaang – English) – 2006 (won the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in English)
* Samantar (Marathi) – 2009 (with Sharmila Tagore)
* Kachchi Dhoop – 1987
* Naqab – 1988
* Paoolkhuna – 1993
* Mrignayanee – 1991
* Kareena Kareena – 2004
Amol Palekar Facts:
Partner of actress , director Chitra Palekar.
Father of actress Shyamalee Palekar.
Daughter Shalmalee is a world renown doctor. She also is a leader of many Gay and Lesbian organizations in India.
Youngest daughter Samiha, is in the final year of studying law (2014). She wants to specialize in sports law. She has played rugby at a national level for India.
Daughter, Shyamalee Palekar, is a professor at the University of Western Australia.
Starred in the shelved film “Yun Bhi Hota Hain” (1984) Starring Amol Palekar, Moushami Chatterjee. Produced by Abdul Patia.
Interestingly, in his entire career he has never portrayed a Muslim or a Sikh (though he did portray an Indian Catholic in Baaton Baaton Mein in 1977) which is considered de rigueur for mainstream Bollywood stars in order to cultivate the widest possible fan base in a country with substantial minorities.
He turned to directing with the Marathi film Aakriet.
- Rajinikanth Height and Weight
- Namitha Height and Weight, Bra Size, Body Measurements
- Sunny Deol Height and Weight, Bio, Wiki & Facts
- Sunil Shetty Height and Weight, Bio, Wiki & Facts
- Antara Mali Height and Weight, Bra Size, Body Measurements
- Bobby Deol Height and Weight
- Hrithik Roshan Height and Weight, Bio, Wiki & Facts
- Tina Ahuja Height and Weight, Bra Size, Body Measurements
March 6, 2017 admin Actors No Comment Amol Palekar, Amol Palekar Bio, Amol Palekar Children, Amol Palekar Facts, Amol Palekar Height, Amol Palekar Wife «Cobie Smulders Height and Weight, Bra Size, Body Measurements Callie Thorne Height and Weight, Bra Size, Body Measurements»
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.